About League of Professional Theatre Women
Who: Our membership includes artists and practitioners of all backgrounds, across multiple disciplines, working in the commercial and non-profit sectors.
What: We advocate for opportunities and visibility for female theatre professionals.
How: The League connects members with colleagues in artist service groups and performing arts organizations in the U.S. and around the globe, supporting dialogue, mentoring, and collaboration.
We spearhead vibrant public programming, advocacy projects, and transformational initiatives that create community, cultivate leadership and professional development, and raise awareness of the importance of nurturing women’s voices.
Our events, media, and publications celebrate industry luminaries, preserve the legacy of historic visionaries, and shine a spotlight on the importance of striving for gender parity and of fostering a diversity of expression, both in the theatre world and in the world at large.
The League seeks to demonstrate our core values through all our programs and services, goals and mission. These core values include:
The LPTW began as a networking and support organization and continues to provide this important camaraderie for women in theatre. However, the League’s goals have changed as the realities for women in theatre have changed and as its membership has expanded and diversified. Now, the League embraces these overarching goals for the change we aspire to create through our ongoing work and programs:
- Be the voice for women in theatre/be recognized as an authority
- Promote & bring attention to the work of women in theatre/preserve the history
- Provide networking, programming & professional development opportunities for women in theatre
- Develop female leaders in theatre
- Raise awareness of issues for women in theatre
- Advocate for/initiate change in policy, decision-making, perception & legislation
- Support intergenerational mentoring/Help women build sustainable careers in theatre